Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dear Mr. Coon, There will be no chicken dinner tonight!

Well this is my solution to protecting my baby chicks until we can catch whatever creature of the night is slowly killing off my "little flock". Something got my Seabright rooster night before last so I am down to one pretty mille fleur rooster left from the ones I bought at the swap meet.
I had my motion light click on and then the head of a coon peeked into my patio door. So my guess was he was following the chicks to see if he could get a chicken dinner. Obviously the light didn't bother him==just made it easier to see what he was looking for. I think it is a coon getting my chicks cause something pulled the staples out of the wire and drug off my last banty rooster. Shoulda had a slat over the wire and staples is my guess.

Doesn't this little pen look sweet in my little secret garden with the flowers? The motion light kicking on and off all night probably drives the momma nuts but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the little ones safe.

1 comment:

Dk's Wife said...

If you do not have dogs and cats, you really should think about getting them. They keep the racoons, etc. away from your chickens, etc. At least our does.