Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Time to plant the potatoes...

Actually, it's probably past time to plant the potatoes cause the old timers always said to plant them by St. Patrick's Day and that was last month. I read an article in my Backwoods Home magazine about planting potatoes in hay so am going to try that this year.
First, we cut up the potatoes making sure each one had a good "eye" to grow...
The boy's Poppy  ran the tiller over the ground that had already been plowed and disked. One row we planted by placing hay on the freshly tilled ground,.....

then placed the potato on top of the hay...

then placed more hay on top of the potatoes. The article said to use seasoned hay and we happened to have some of that left in the field from last year. I am just praying the author knew what they were talking about cause I don't want to raise a crop of weeds from seeds being in the hay. I think next year I will use straw instead but we'll see how this year goes. Then I watered it all down good. The article said by planting potatoes this way you do not have to dig in the fall. You just lift the potatoes out. Almost sounds too good to be true!
Mark stayed busy digging holes in the garden to plant some tomatoes in...

whoa, that may be overkill! Another day out on the homestead...

No comments: