Monday, February 1, 2010

Pizza from Scratch! Don't buy it-Make it!

My daughter and her husband got back from their buying trip to the city just in time for homemade pizza. Sometimes I wonder why we go to all the expense of buying pizza when it is much easier and more healthy to make your own. Unless you live in the city where there is delivery and then that might make a difference. But out here in the "boonies" those pizza delivery people couldn't be paid enough to brave the muddy, or snow bound roads just to deliver a pizza. So we make our own!
First I dig out this giant pan that I bought at a flea market one day. It's industrial size. I seem to be buying more industrial size pans in my old age for some reason. And my daughter who usually rolls her eyes around in her head at most things I do and say, was quick to claim this pan "when I'm dead" as she puts it. Geez!

And it makes a large enough pizza that there is even left overs for lunch the next day.

O.K. so back to how to make this pizza. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. First I buy several packages of those pizza crust packages that all you have to do is add hot water. I used three of them for a pan this size. Then you stir the dough till mixed and let sit for 5 minutes. I had previously fried my hamburger but you could use sausage or chicken or whatever you heart desires. (But let's pass on the chicken for a while, shall we?)
Bake the crust for 11 minutes or whatever it says on the package. Then take it out, spread your favorite pizza sauce over the partially baked crust, add your red and green chopped peppers, chopped onions, black olives, pepperoni, hamburger, and whatever else you fancy throwing on there. The more the better is my thinking!
And oh yes, I always like to leave one end with nothing but cheese for those who are picky eaters and every family has them. You know who you are!
I heat this up for about 8 minutes or so and then pull the pan back out and add both shredded cheddar cheese and shredded mozzarella cheese. Pop it back in the oven again until the cheese melts and there it is!!! Comfort food guaranteed to make all your troubles be forgotten!

No comments: