Friday, January 9, 2009

It's The Red Cross Way....


Here's a picture of my grandson Mark. He took his Lego blocks and built a car and is so proud because he found one of the Lego blocks had a Red Cross on it and he made a "Red Cross Mobile". I'm a Red Cross volunteer and he is my number one fan! Notice the expression on his face.

He found his little flashlight that he had left at my house one day and as he picked it up he reminded me that "I might need this flashlight if the lights go out and also a blanket to keep warm with. Remember we are always to be prepared!"

Now how is that for teaching our little ones the Red Cross idea of "being prepared before a disaster happens?"

I thought it was great to hear him say that, but his mother thinks because he is a child, he shouldn't be thinking about things like that. Mothers and Fathers, don't think that for a minute! Teach your children the basics about how to be prepared. Too many children die because they don't know what to do in a disaster, especially a fire.

I have talked to Mark about picking up his toys before he goes to bed because if there was a fire in the middle of the night, his mom and dad would be falling all over the toys in the floor trying to get to him and his little brother. And I've taught him that if the smoke alarm ever goes off (and by the way, set it off sometime so they know what it sounds like) that he is to go outside and stand by the spot his mom and dad have agreed for everyone to meet at. Which for him is out by the Cedar tree.

Children are very smart and learn quickly so take advantage of it. And it could save their life sometime!!!

No comments: