Saturday, May 10, 2008

Iris and Oriental Poppies



Iris and Oriental Poppies are two of the flowers that I remember best from my growing up years. Old fashioned purple iris grew across the fence in the woods next to our property and as a little girl I was enraptured with their delicate, velvety softness. They seemed like the perfect flower to me.

Today, we have so many beautiful hybrids to enjoy, but many old homesteads still have the original iris blooming away.














Then there was the bright orange oriental poppies that seemed to bloom and be gone before you could really enjoy them. I brought some starts from my mom's poppies to the 80 acre homestead and they seemed to die out last year, but this year I have a few that have came up and bloomed again. The flowers almost look as if they are made from papermache. But, alas they only last a few days and the blooms fall apart after the first rain. I snapped a quick picture early this morning.

The lesson to be learned here is that it is very important to take time to "stop and smell the roses" as you travel through life. Which reminds me , I saw my roses are needing some dead limbs cut out of them. Better do that now before I forget about them. They too will soon be blooming. One year for Mother's Day, my son bought me a climbing rose and I think this will be it's most beautiful year. How I love my flowers!

No comments: