Saturday, May 17, 2008

Camping By The Pond





My daughter and I thought it would be a good night to set up the tent down by the pond so the boys could "camp out". Poppy helped us get the tent up and they were so excited at the thought of sleeping outside. We kept watching frogs jump into the water and I told them my "going froggin" story. I promised them that we would take our flashlights after dark and go down to the dock and shine the lights in the frogs eyes, which blinds them, and then you can reach down and pick them up. Nobody believes me that froglegs are wonderful. Tastes like chicken, I tell them all.

So just about dark we carried all the stuff we needed including lanterns and flashlights and pillows and sleeping bags and headed down to the tent. Rachel brought some story books to read and it was fun reading by lantern light. Then we turned out the lights and told "once upon a time" stories. Then the boys quoted the old "starlight, starbright poem and made wishes on the stars. Remember doing that as a kid?

The moon was full and bright tonight and the peepers were peeping. The boys questioned what every little noise was. We could even hear the race cars from town. Everything seems so loud when lying in a tent. Cows were mooing, you could hear the cars on the highway, frogs were croaking, peepers were peeping and best of all the moon was shining brightly down on us. And the gentle breeze after the sun went down made it just about perfect. If you haven't taken your sleeping bag and pitched it under the stars for a while, why not give it a try? It will take you back to a simpler time in life where it doesn't take a lot of money to have a good time!



Life is good on the 80 acre homestead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I had the same liberty to take a hike at a pond with my daughter and wife next year's summer. We all love camping and planning for one a day ahead.