Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Big Red Cross

Recently my five year old grandson said “Nana, I seen your Red Cross on T.V.” He is my favorite fan and loves having his “nana” tell him what I am doing each day with my local Red Cross office. I have taught him to watch the Weather Channel and have talked to him about hurricanes and tornadoes and floods. He knows what the word evacuation means and understands the goal of the Red Cross is to help those who are facing a disaster in their life. All this may seem like a lot for a five year old to understand and maybe he really hasn’t grasped the whole picture yet. But, he is quick to recognize the symbol of the big Red Cross and in his five year old mind, knows it means help is there.

Once again our country is facing the probability of hundreds and possibly thousands of our citizens becoming displaced. Not only will they lose their homes but may become separated from their loved ones. We will be dealing with both physical and emotional issues as we try to help the victims of these storms. I am reminded of how proud I am to be a part of an organization whose sole purpose is to help those in need without partiality. As I see the Red Cross emblem at the scene of a disaster, I feel a great surge of pride within me because I know there are trained, caring, and compassionate individuals on the scene. Every one of these individuals wholeheartedly believe in what the Red Cross stands for and are willing to be available to help as long as they are needed.

As a Red Cross volunteer I will not only be there to pray for your safety, but I will also be there to hold your hand, cry with you and do everything I can to make the day you face a disaster a little easier to bear. And I am proud to be a part of teaching the next generation the importance of what that great big Red Cross stands for so they too will want to be a part of this caring, compassionate organization!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was in Sunday's paper. Pat