Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Read a good book last night...

I wasn't feeling too well last night so I grabbed an afghan, pulled a book off my bookshelf that has been there forever but hadn't read, and settled down for a quiet evening of reading. The name of the book was "The Book of Leaders" by Steve Stephens. It was a story of an old man retelling the stories of old from the Old Testament. The story of how God led His people out of bondage and into the Promised Land. It was told in a refreshing way that really holds your attention so I would recommend reading it if you can find it.

But it reminded me of the importance of studying our history. Throughout history God's people continually turned away from Him and His teachings to serve other idols and basically do their own thing. Yet when times of adversity came and they remembered their God and repented of their evil ways and cried out to Him, His heart was always moved with mercy and compassion for them. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. What is the reason His people are not crying out today?

I see and hear many of His followers crying out for Him to "bless me, give me, make me prosperous, let me see angels, gold dust, feathers, etc. etc. but how many are crying out for His Presence? Just to know Him?

Isn't it interesting that a people that could actually see evidence of His Presence would still turn away from Him, complain about how He was providing for them and take His provisions for granted. The scary part is "would I be that same way?" Or, would I be so enthralled with what He can do for me that I look to that instead of to The One who does it all?

Just thinking..... And remembering history.....

1 comment:

Coco, not as in Chanel :) said...

Good thoughts. People turn away from our Savior all the time. Unfortunately, I do the same thing. I try to fix the situation, or worry about a situation in lieu of just handing it over to our God. He knows the outcome. Thank goodness that He does, because I'm telling you, I am a dummy about a lot of things, and all my worry and fixing, doesn't make one iota of a difference.

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas!