Friday, July 24, 2009

Makin Salsa...

Today's the day to make my homemade salsa, well sorta homemade. Notice the Mrs. Wages salsa mix package. If you like it, why improve on a good thing? So here's my step by step instructions for making salsa.
First, pick your tomatoes or like me find your local farmers market or Amish produce store. Wash and take out the bad spots and the center core.

Dip them in boiling water for about 60 seconds. I watch for the skin to start peeling.

Then take them out of the boiling water and drop them in cold water. You'll see the skins cracking. They then just slip right off.

Have your jars sterilized or wash them in your dishwasher on the hottest setting. They should be too hot to touch. Learned that yesterday at my canning class.
Here's my peeled tomatoes ready to cut up. Lookin good right?

I'm wanting thick Salsa that is not mushy so I left them in pretty big chunks. Use a clean cutting board. Everything must be clean. Mix in your Mrs. Wages Salsa mix or mix up your own from your favorite recipe. Remember to always go by the directions. It's important that you have the right amount of vinegar to make the tomatoes the right acidic. Is that a word? Anyway that is why you do not have to can them in a pressure cooker. You water bath them instead for 10 to 15 minutes depending on what your directions say. But, I am freezing this batch cause I haven't tried that before and I do not want to cook them anymore than I need to. Want it to be more like fresh made Salsa.
Had enough to make 14 quart bags of Salsa.
My next batch I will put in jars and water bath. That way I will have both. Remember if you have any questions to call your local Extension office and ask. I wondered why if you add onions or peppers to regular tomatoes you have to pressure them but you don't for Salsa. Answer. Salsa is the exception because it has enough added vinegar to keep it safe. So you just put them in the water bath canner.
Happy Salsa making!

1 comment:

Jacquelyn said...

I've always done mine with the hot water bath...will be anxious to know how you liked the frozen. Here in NE Ohio we need to wait another month for some good tomatoes...but I surely intend to can some salsa too! I put a recipe on my blog a couple weeks ago...we are happy with it and use it all the time. Thanks for sharing your step-by-step instructions. Its good to do a sanity check!