Monday, June 1, 2009

It's My Birthday and I'm Enjoying The Day...

I have such a wonderful life and I have had a wonderful day doing the things I enjoy most. Spending time with family, enjoying the beauty of God's creation and just enjoying being alive on a beautiful day. Birthdays are a great time to kick back and enjoy being alive!


I went with my sister to the Dr. this morning and then we went to see our mother who is in the Alzheimer's Unit. Then I picked up a pair of house shoes for my father-in-law who is in the hospital and went to see him. Since I have an elderly uncle and aunt that live in that same time I stopped in and visited with them for a short while. My uncle will be 90 on his next birthday and he is not in the best of health . I enjoy spending time with family and sometimes we take our loved ones for granted. I plan on spending more time with my family in the coming year.

I have been contemplating adding a peacock to my menagerie of wildlife on the homestead and I remembered that there is a place out in the country a few miles that raised peacocks so being the shy person that I am (Ha. Ha) I decided to pay them a visit. What better place to ask questions about peacocks than someone who raises them. And of course I just happened to have my camera along with me.
I was delighted from the time I got out of my car with this gentleman's peacock sanctuary. He was happy to show me around and talk to me about peacocks. And these peacocks were in trees and in his barns and in the woods and on top of buildings and everywhere you looked you were surrounded by beauty. He told me he has about 40 NEW peacocks and not only that, he was raising turkeys too! And he was glad to share his knowledge with me.

Have you ever in your life seen anything so beautiful? God is so creative!


My new friend also built this little bridge out of stone and under it was a little creek that had koi swimming in it and HUGE frogs that would jump in the water as you walked by making a mighty splash!

Majestic!

Here's a view of their tail feathers before they make a fan out of them. He urged me to come back in the evening sometime around 6:00 and that is when I could see them "strutting." I plan on doing that soon. Can you imagine a whole flock of birds strutting at the same time?


And they fly HIGH! Every tree seemed to have a bird perched high up on a limb. And they are very LOUD! Reminded me of the sounds you hear in a jungle. Now I'm having to rethink adding a peacock to my flock because I didn't want to have a covered pen and unless I want one wandering around the 80 acres, they obviously would just fly out.

To me the word that describes this place is "serenity."

I thoroughly enjoyed my short trip there and I appreciated him allowing me to share for a time his sanctuary. I know the hard work that has went into building this little haven and I appreciate him welcoming strangers in to enjoy not only the beauty of the peacocks but also the beauty of what he has built. I'll be back soon!

Since I was now only a few miles from my sister's house and she told me this morning that she has 17 rows of vegetables in her garden I couldn't pass up the chance to check that out. Lordy, Lordy, that girl is BUSY. And her garden looked beautiful. No weeds. WOW.


This picture gives you an idea of the size of her garden! And she works all day and still finds the time and energy to take care of this. I know many people in the times that we are living in have decided to put out gardens and are beginning to acquire the knowledge of how to raise our own vegetables. I think it is a wise thing to be doing myself!



This is one of her flower beds.

She's very creative with using the old to decorate with.

The beauty of lilies!

This little wagon of flowers is waiting to be planted.

Gorgeous pink Hollyhocks. I must have some seeds so I can start my own plants next year. She just throws her stalks at the end of the season over the fence into the cow pasture and Hollyhocks pop up everywhere!



I love Clematis and hers is especially beautiful growing up the edge of the deck.

Look what she did with this old bicycle built for two. Creative woman!

And after leaving her house I drove past a little country greenhouse and of course since I had my camera with me I might as well snap some pictures there too



What better way to enjoy the beauty of flowers without having to put all that work into it. And they did not mind me taking pictures at all!



And oh yea, I can't seem to be able to drive by cows without backing back up and snapping a quick picture. I really am a farmer at heart. I have just learned I don't have to do all the work myself. I can appreciate someone else's hard work. Reminds me of the scripture about "my Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills."

My daughter made me a birthday cake and so after I got home I even had cake to eat.

Couldn't have had a better day! And looking forward to what God has planned for me in the upcoming year. Know it will be good! Hope you too have enjoyed sharing my day with me through pictures!

4 comments:

Washer Mom Val said...

Happy Birthday!

Deb said...

Happy Birthday!!! It looks like you had a very enjoyable day.

GrammyGoo said...

Happy Birthday . What beautiful pictures you took. Thanks for sharing your day with us.
Blessings, GG

Rose said...

Happy belated birthday!