Saturday, January 10, 2009

Home-made Cinnamon Rolls

It's cold outside and I have been wanting to make home-made cinnamon rolls. When I was little my mom would always make these big, beautiful and yummy cinnamon rolls from scratch. But, today I don't have time for that, but I have an idea that should work.

Last night, I let a roll of bread dough from the store sit overnight in the frig. Today, I took it out and let it come to room temperature. Maybe I was suppose to let it rise first and then punch it down, but this is quick rolls so we'll see what happens. Sometimes I cook by the seat of my pants! So I rolled it out until it was pretty thin.



And I melted a stick of butter in the microwave and spread this melted butter over the dough. Next I sprinkled brown sugar, maybe a little over a cup, over the butter. Then, I just shook some cinnamon over that. Now, nuts would be great and I think my mom always added walnuts because we always had those. But I have a grandson who is allergic to nuts, so I will leave those off. I may add some to half of the rolls after they are done cooking and before I drizzle on the icing. That way we will know which side has the nuts.


Then, I slowly rolled up the dough and mixture and sliced with a serrated knife , and then added these rolls to a pan sprayed with PAM.


Notice mine are not all the same size. I planned it that way. Ha. Ha. I good chef would probably make sure all the rolls were the same size, but hey, this is the quick way. And the little ones can be eaten by the little kids.
Now, I lightly cover my pan of rolls and put them in a warm place to rise. We happen to have a wood stove so what better place than beside it? Let rise until double.

Then put in a pre-heated oven and bake until done.




Here's a good icing recipe from Alton Brown on the Food Network:

2 1/2 oz. cream cheese, softened (approx. 1/4 cup)
3 Tab. milk
5 1/2 oz. powdered sugar (approx. 1 1/2 cups)

While the rolls are cooling slightly, make the icing by whisking the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the milk and whisk until combined. Sift in the powdered sugar, and whisk until smooth. Spread over the rolls and serve immediately.

Now knowing me, I make tweak it a little bit. I haven't sifted anything in years. I think my mom just use to use powdered sugar and milk and dribble over the rolls while hot because we never had cream cheese growing up. And I added twice as much cream cheese as the above recipe called for and also added a cap full of vanilla.

Anyway, drizzle your favorite topping or use the one above over the rolls and eat while warm. Yum, Yum....

Now about those hard times. Didn't someone once say, "It's the best of times, it's the worst of times"? Both could come from the days ahead! We just may have to spend a little more time cooking instead of eating so much fast food. And we just might have to start sitting down to the "family table" again and really enjoying having a meal with family and friends. Just like on the Walton's! What would be so bad about that?

2 comments:

Washer Mom Val said...

Where is the pic of the finished yummy rolls? Hubby's Mom makes rolls often on a Saturday and will call, then I send the boys on bikes with back pack and they return with the rolls. Very quick way to get rolls! We always save them for Sunday breakfast. My first attempt at rolls when we were young marrieds I made small tiny rolls - My husband came up with the roll theory - women make them about the size of their breasts naturally.....while I wasn't flattered, I still laugh at that as I see rolls of every size around me!

Kay aka dkswife said...

Okay, a really cool tip for slicing cinnamon rolls: Use a strand of dental floss. Wrap it around the roll and pull on the floss. It is easy peasy and makes slicing those things very, very easy! BTW, they look great!