Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Makin' Pear Honey



Remember the pears that Tool Belt Man and the grand-kids picked a while back? They have been sitting on the porch swing waiting to ripen a bit. I peeled and chunked them tonight and cooked them down. Tomorrow I have to go to the store and pick up pineapple so I can make Pear Honey from an old family recipe. Notice the piece of paper propped up in the pears. Old family recipe. Personally, I've never tasted pear honey, but I ate plenty of pears while I was peeling so I bet it will be good! I probably will have about 10 pints by the time I get done.
Well, I ended up with 36 pints of Pear Honey. That was a lot of work! Here's the old family recipe.
Peel and run the prepared pears through a blender. Add 4 cups pears, 3 cups sugar and 3 cups crushed pineapple, drained. Cook until the desired consistency. Cook in hot water bath for about 20 minutes. Sit out on towel to cool.
To me, instead of calling it honey, it is just like applesauce but it's made of pears. It is very good!

No comments: